THE LIE LIST
After writing Hate Me, I went back through all the books to find the lies that Keatyn told and who she told them to. I was actually really surprised by how few times she lied. You’ll also notice that Aiden’s name is listed by the large majority of them. (Because he asked so many freaking questions!)
Since you know Aiden had known who she was for quite some time, it’s easy to understand why he purposefully did ask more questions. He really wanted Keatyn to tell him the truth.
I also loved that in Get Me you found out that his wish in Adore Me was that she would trust him enough to tell him the truth.
- I’m Keatyn Monroe. (Everyone at Eastbrooke) —I never used to want to be Keatyn Douglas. The name seemed to carry so much weight. So many expectations for what or who I should be. If I’m lucky enough to get to be her again, I will be proud of my name.
- I didn’t recognize you as the goalie. (Aiden) —I did. I so did. You don’t forget eyes like that. Ever. Ever. Ever.
- B’s name is Bradley. (Riley) —It’s Brooklyn.
- My parents moved to France. (Everyone at Eastbrooke) —They were in Vancouver at the time, although we do have a house there.
- I left my Mercedes at home because of the snow. (Dawson) —Garrett wouldn’t let me bring it.
- I got in trouble at home. (Annie) —This made me sad to say. I never got in trouble because I never lied to my Mom or Tommy about what I was doing. We had a very open relationship, and I could talk to them about anything. I miss them so much.
- My parents deleted my social media. (Riley) (Annie) —They would never, ever do that!!
- When I synced my new phone, it deleted all my photos. (Annie) —I would have died if that happened in real life. Like, probably, literally died.
- No one has ever said I remind them of Abby Johnston. (Annie)(Riley’s mom) —People say our smile, voice, and gestures are exactly the same.
- My friend was stalked. (Aiden) —It was me.
- We sold our house in California. (Dawson) —We didn’t sell the Malibu house and hopefully never will.
- I’m a Rockette and my name is Maggie. (Allan the driver) —Um, I’m clearly not.
- My Mom’s ex-boyfriend was stalking me. (Riley) (Dallas) (Senator McMahon and assorted Secret Service) —My mom never would’ve dated someone creepy like Vincent. Clearly, I am not as smart as my mother. Because I thought he was sexy and I liked the attention. Like, until the whole attempted kidnapping thing.
- My friend had a scare. (Aiden) —It was me who was scared. Really, really, freaked out scared.
- Garrett is my uncle. (Everyone) —He is not.
- I went on a backstage-type tour for school, came home, and told my mom I wanted to write a fairytale movie. (Aiden) —On how I got into script writing. Such a lame lie but I couldn’t think of anything else at the time. Because his hand. Was. On. My. Knee.
- My mom is retired but used to work in oil and gas. (Whitney) —My Grandpa did—so at least I kept it in the family. Does that make it less of a lie?
- I don’t want to be an actress. I want to be a doctor. (Riley’s mom) (Drama teacher) —Later, I went on to add, I want to be a pediatric doctor specializing in children’s cancer, because my cousin died from it. —Thank god, that’s not true. Mostly because I don’t have any cousins.
- I want to be a CIA agent. (Advisor) (the Dean) —Although, really, it’s not a bad back-up plan.
- I want to major in International Studies. (College recruiter) —no. Just no.
- That I mentioned I knew Damian when we watched one of Twisted Dreams’ videos after soccer. (Peyton) —I can hardly even keep up anymore. I should have added that it was after a Steele Building workout—which it was. So, she probably wouldn’t have remembered it anyway.
- That I didn’t think Damian hooked up with groupies. (Aiden) —I don’t think Aiden wanted to know the truth. It was for his own good, really.
- That Peyton and Damian weren’t skinny dipping. (Aiden) —See above reasoning.
- Aberly and Fritz (Damian’s lie to Aiden that I went along with.) —What the hell kind of name is Aberly?
- I’m going to France to be with my mom. (Aiden) —I wish . . .
- That I probably wouldn’t like To Maddie, with Love (Aiden) —I would love to see it.
- That I’m at an all-girls school in the middle of nowhere. (Sander) —I am at a school.
- That Cooper is one of Tommy’s stunt men. (Sander/friends) —Sorry.
- That Tommy and Brooklyn okayed my using their vehicles. (Car detailer) —Sorry, but necessary.
- I saw my uncle and talked to him about my mom. (Aiden) —Again, necessary.
- My mom is working on oil and gas leases in the Ukraine. (Aiden) —Please, stop asking so many questions!
- My mom’s name is Kathryn Monroe. My stepdad’s name is Tom Hart. (Aiden and his parents) —Curiosity must run in the family.
- I didn’t correct Aberly /Abernathy. (Aiden and his parents) —Omission, not technically a lie?
- I lied in Miami about being stalked. (Riley) —I had to lie about lying. Shit.
- I came to Eastbrooke because I wanted to see if I could act. To see if I could pretend to be someone else. I lied because I could. (Everyone at Eastbrooke) —This was the hardest lie of them all.